OSCE Mission in Gjilan, Kosovo is looking for a Human Rights Officer.
General Minimum Requirements
- Excellent physical condition;
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission;
- Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure.
Field of Expertise Requirements
- First-level university degree in political sciences, international relations, public policy, law, international human rights law or other human rights related fields;
- Experience working with human rights, minority or gender issues;
- Demonstrable organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in drafting reports.
First-level university degree or equivalent experience.
Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience including minimum 1 year in a relevant field strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and/or practical experience in human and community rights at international and local level;
- Alternatively, knowledge and/or experience in human rights monitoring in developing/transitional societies and/or experience with protection of vulnerable groups;
- Knowledge of the political setting of the OSCE Mission in Kosovo;
- Awareness of the situation of all communities in Kosovo;
- Ability to produce analytical reports, very good report writing skills;
- Relevant international experience;
- Cultural sensitivity and judgment;
- Interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Political awareness and understanding;
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and with limited time frames;
- Professional fluency in English with excellent communication (both oral and written) skills;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural, and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Computer literate with practical experience using Microsoft applications;
- Valid driving license.
- International work experience and/or experience in field missions, preferably in the South Eastern Europe;
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: return, reintegration, education, access to services, participation and representation, security, dialogue, language rights, inclusion of vulnerable communities, inter-faith dialogue, cultural heritage, property rights, judicial institutions, non-judicial human rights mechanisms;
- Experience in negotiation/mediation;
- Knowledge of the local languages or most common lingua franca.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Pro-actively monitoring and building the capacities of relevant institutions and communities mechanisms in the field of human and communities’ rights, assessing/evaluating developments and proposing remedial actions when appropriate. This includes reporting, advocacy, as well as other forms of assistance or advice, aiming to improve compliance with international human rights standards and communities rights principles;
- Regularly meeting local counterparts to exchange and gather information on human and communities rights related issues, assessing and reporting on developments, successes and concerns regarding compliance with human and communities rights standards;
- Co-operating closely and co-ordinating with colleagues in the RC, as well as the HRCD in Headquarters, and in particular with the relevant Section (Communities Section) within HRCD;
- Identifying key human and communities rights related issues in the incumbent’s area of responsibility and, where deemed necessary, following up with analytical reporting, including recommendations to the Senior Communities Officer, the RC Director and the HRCD in Headquarters;
- Assisting in project development, implementing project activities, and evaluating impact and achievements;
- Reaching out to all local communities/assessing their situation and reporting on identified needs;
- Drafting and assisting the drafting of policy recommendations that address specific human rights and communities rights issues/concerns;
- Contributing to the reporting and to periodical analytical reports of the HRCD;
- Performing other duties as required.