UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency in Tirana, Albania is looking for a Representative.
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the local political context
- Manage a consultative process within the country operations and with external partners
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy that generates political and financial support for UNHCR’s operations
- Mobilize financial support for UNHCR corporate priorities as well for country specific projects
- Implement a results-oriented approach, engaging a robust Multi-Functional Team, for assessing, designing, delivering and monitoring the country operation
- Ensure that the protection strategy is fully integrated into the country operations plan and that necessary resources are allocated to it
- Ensure the country operations adherence to UNHCR’s policy on Age, Gender and Diversity Mainstreaming (AGDM)
- Ensure the country operational plans are consistent with the regional and global strategic priorities; manage a participatory process, with all stakeholders, to apply UNHCR¿s standards and indicators in assessing and measuring the performance of the country operations
- Promote accession to the Convention and Protocol and ensure the application of protection standards in the treatment of all persons of concern especially women and children
- Ensure all persons of concern, especially women and children, have access to relevant information; ensure that cases of sexual violence and abuse against girls and boys are reported and dealt with expeditiously
- Ensure the engagement of UNHCR in the UNCT, UN common programming, planning and funding activities and to actively contribute in the establishment of the CCA/UNDAF and the consequent joint implementation activities
- Participate in the Cluster approach, ensure UNHCR’s Cluster Lead role and implement other IASC and inter-agency/UN policies
- Ensure that risks to the operations objectives are regularly assessed, priority risks are identified and risk treatments for the priority risks form an integral part of the operations plans
- Ensure that staff and financial resources are commensurate with operational objectives
- Ensure effective and efficient management of resources within the rules and procedures of UNHCR
- Establish and manage local administrative mechanisms such as a Local Contracts (or Purchasing) Committee, Local Asset Management Board and APPC
- Ensure local compliance with UNHCR’s human resources (HR) policies including on gender, disabilities, diversity, ethics and HIV/AIDS
- Manage a process of recruitment, assignment and reassignment of local staff for the country operation, in accordance with UN/UNHCR rules and procedures
- Where necessary, identify the most appropriate affiliate workforce and optimize its use
- In coordination with the Global Learning Centre, ensure that the learning needs of UNHCR’s workforce in the country are identified, assessed and addressed
- Exercise effective managerial oversight, direction, guidance and support and conduct regular performance appraisals and coaching
- In close collaboration with the Designated Official (DO), UNDSS and UN country team/Security Management Team (SMT) gather and analyses information on the local security situation and play an active role in the inter-agency security and contingency planning processes
- Ensure that appropriate security measures are in place to protect staff, and that the country operation complies with UN MOSS/MORSS staff security rules, guidelines and procedures
- Represent UNHCR in the UNCT/Humanitarian Country Team and other inter-agency fora
- Decide on the country strategy and priorities, country operations plans, and approve the country operations protection strategy
- Enforce local compliance with UNHCR’s global protection, program, finance and human resources and security policies and standards
- Negotiate and sign local agreements with implementing and operational partners.
- Authorize payments as per the organization’s Delegation of Authority Plan (DOAP) and in accordance with UN/UNHCR rules and procedures
- Modify operational projects and reallocate funds, within the approved budgets and in respect of donor earmarking
- Perform other related duties as required
Education & Professional Work Experience
- Education in Business Administration; International Relations; Law; Political Science; Social Science; or other relevant fields
- Certificates and/or Licenses
- HCR Learning Prog; HCR Managing Operations Lrng Prg; UNHCR Protection Learning Prg
- Extensive knowledge of UNHCR operations and services.
- A high level of skill in management of broad programs’, political decision making and negotiating, as well as demonstrated tolerance to frequently changing and highly charged situations
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of operations
- Ability to manage for results: translates strategic aims into achievable plans, with established priorities, monitors them, making periodic adjustments as required.
- Ability to effectively represent UNHCR at the senior level in internal and external meetings and to build strong relationships with clients
- Knowledge of geo-political realities and their socio-cultural implications.
Knowledge of English, national and UN working languages.
Deadline for application: 20 October 2021
To apply for this position click on the following link.